Sunday, May 20, 2007

Alcatraz Island

I have wanted to go to Alcatraz Island. Knowing that it is a very popular place and I have to book my ticket earlier. Another booking through internet. And I changed my ticket to an earlier day since there was a little changed of my schedule. Well, that's alright. I told myself to be flexible, it's a holiday afterall.

I went to Pier 33 to wait for my ferry. Indeed, a lot of people. Some wanted to buy ticket only that morning which they can't get. I was just glad that I had mine earlier.

SF is well known of its fog as well. The fog was still around at about 10am. It was a really short journey from the wharf to the island.

Alcatraz Island was where all the top criminals were kept. They couldn't escape due to the freezing cold water. However, still, they managed to escape and hence it was closed and for visiting.

Was given an audio set where it will guide me and tell me the story. It was really nice. I just need to walk and listen. There were some background sound as well, hence, I just need to imagine and pictured the scenes myself.

The prisoners are not allow to come out at all. If they behaved well, they do get their chance to be at the courtyard.

The city is just at the opposite. Indeed, it has a nice view from this island. Now, seagulls use the island as a nesting place. And we are not suppose to disturb them.

I met someone, Gavin, here. He was also alone, like me. And so, we just walked and be friend. :) Someone I could speak Mandarin after separate with Annie. But, I lost so much of my Mandarin. And Gavin was just wondering if I really know Chinese or not.

From Alcatraz Island, I went to Pier 39, the most happening place at Fisherman's Wharf.

No comments: