Sunday, March 7, 2010

Gunung Gap & Gunung Ulu Semangkuk (Semangkok)

Earlier a friend, Henry asked if I could like to join them for the climb which I couldn't due to some pre-arranged activities. Then, another friend (LKK) has actually mentioned and planned this for quite some time. I wasn't sure if I could make it as there were at least 2 big meetings for preparation (Roller Coaster & BoD preparation) right after the climb. Also, I wasn't sure if I would be fit enough for the climb. I wasn't been sleeping well, too much work, was working almost 24x7 for 2 weeks before that.

Still, I have decided to go or else I will be sitting in front of my machine bf (computer lar for the weekend). Then, I was told that the route that we wanted to use (via Kuala Kubu Baru) will be closed for Langkawi cycling. Hence, we have to change the meeting point at Bentong point (as if I know where). Since I car pool with Karim and to pick-up Kang Bee + Siew Leh (sisters) on the way. I departed from house at 5am and reached BK4 at 6am.

We were on-time reaching the tol, but, at the end, we spent time waiting for others. After more waiting, breakfast and winding road, we finally arrived at Fraser Hill at ~10am. There were already so many climbers. And it's my 1st time to Fraser Hill. :D

So, we started climbing at 10.30am. There were about 86 of us if not mistaken. A huge group.

The trail started with a very narrow entrance. And steep too. Then, a bamboo place which reminds me of Nuang. The trail was steep. I wasn't feeling well and finally thrown-out (a bit lar).. And I took it slowly. So many times, I have told Karim to go ahead as I know there are ppl behind and some ahead of me. But, he has accompanied me till the peak of G. Gap. Kang Bee and Siew Leh was no way to be seen after the initial 30 minutes. I knew I wasn't fit as I didn't have enough sleep. It was such a torture that I felt like turning back. hmm....

We arrived at the peak of Gunung Gap after 1 hour climb and saw Kang Bee there waiting for me. G. Gap is 1,183m high. We didn't see many people there thinking they would have gone ahead. For sure Siew Leh was not where to be seen and even Kang Bee said she cannot see her sister. So, we rested awhile (5 minutes) and continue for another gunung (moutain).

Now, we have to go down and hike up again. hmm..... Well, it wasn't as steep as the 1st part. So, it was alright. We saw a lot of fallen tree trunk on the way, and the plants were all moist, due to the height(?). Overall, it wasn't hot, the weather was just nice for climbing. It wasn't winding or cold as well. Just nice. oh.. we met Siew Leh as we go up, she was on her way down... wow...

Karim has decided to go ahead while both Kang Bee and me took our time for the next climb. On the way, we met an uncle who offered us yong-tau-fu. So sweet. And another couple were trying to clear up the bush. The trail wasn't as clean or as wide as other mountains that I have climb/ hike. It's more virgin here.

Towards the peak, it was a sharp V shape that we need to descend and assend (rocks and slippery). It was tough and scary. We took 2 hours from G. Gap to G. Ulu Semangkok (1,394m). It was tiring. There were no view to be seen on top of the moutain. It was a bit disappointing, no wind, nothing at all. :( Well, some friends of LKK, sifu zai and gang actually carried watermelon (8.2kg!!!), honeydew, eggs, instant noodles, water and picnic on the peak. Wow.... I struggled to carry myself and they carry so much food. *so memalukan*

As the peak area is rather small (maybe can fit 20 ppl comfortably), we started to descend after 30 minutes. Oh.. it was tougher to descend. I fall once, from the beginning and Kang Bee actually fall 4 times. hahaha.... Thank God no injury, only pain on the backside. :D

We took 2.5 hours to descend. Both Kang Bee & I spent time with each other. Knowing each other better through the trip. :) After cleaning up (there have toilet with no proper shower facility, but, clean). We waited for awhile before decided to start the journey home. (we found out Maxis has no coverage there... hehe...)

At least now the road was not so winding as we choose to go back via KKB. And the view on the way was magnificient. There were lakes on the way which we didn't stop by. (Could have).

Arrived KL at about 6.30pm and I got back to home about 9pm.

It was tiring and yet enjoyable trip. Thanks for organising. :)

No comments: