Sunday, July 13, 2008

Mt. Kinabalu again - Day 3

We woke up at 1.30am to get ready for the summit push. Departed our hut at about 2.30am. It was drizzling. Still, we walked. It rained on and off. And we reached the rope part which was about 200m. I couldn't stop for a photo shoot as it was still raining. We stopped for water and breath a few times. And to check on each other's condition. The rain was heavier and I had no choice but to put on my poncho. We reached Sayat-Sayat check point at about 4.30am. We were 1.7KM away from the summit.

The rain got heavier. A lot of climbers were waiting at Sayat-Sayat. All the shelters, including the highest telephone booth were occupied. So, we rested, waited by sitting on a rock under the rain a little further than the check-point. We were kinda soaked by then. I lifted my right foot and water came out from my boot. wow.. My feet were literally swimming in my boots. We got colder and colder as we waited for the rain to subside.

By this time, I saw some people turned back. Nizam told us that we could wait, he will wait with us. Or we could turn back. If we insist to continue the climb, he would go with us but at our own risks. Then, I was thinking it would be too dangerous to continue, so did Karim. Of course, I could understand how disappointed Sherine, Lydia and SPY were. It was their 1st time and the fact was we were doing alright, not reaching the peak?! I totally understood the feeling.

We were getting really cold and more and more people turned back. Finally we decided to turn back as well. We went back to the check-point hoping to get a bit of shelter. After about 5 - 10 minutes, we started to descend.

The water level was high. We were literally walking in water. The trail had turned into waterfall. Then, we reached the rope part again. Even with the headlights on, we were unable to see clearly. It was misty and the thought of having a pair of wiper for my glasses came to my mind. I was really depending on God's grace. The guide showed us the way to pull the rope, to hold tightly. I had been there and I knew how steep the other side could be.

After the rope part, it was again walking on rock and water. I fell once. Hitting the rockface and getting even more wet. Descending in the rain was even more challenging as it was slippery.

We got back to Gunting Ladangan at about 6am. Then, I wanted to boil some hot water, but, no more gas. Wow... And I was all wet. So, I had no choice, but, changed back to yesterday's clothes (I know, it's so yucky, but, no choice lar.. ). Then, we were all wrapped with blankets.

I advised them to get some rest before heading to Laban Rata for breakfast at 8am. Most of them slept. I couldn't. I just wanted to warm myself up. Then, I went out to check on the weather condition, it was still raining quite heavily. I only managed to take 1 picture. The wind was blowing with rain and it was cold.

(There's no photo at all though I would like to. The rain and the wet weather along the way stopped me from taking pictures as I did not want my camera to get wet. All the experiences were only registered in the memory up in my head.)

At about 9am. The rain kinda subsided. Then, we headed to Laban Rata for breakfast. The Agape group had left by then (I was told by John).

There, we went out to the look out area and took some pictures despite the chill.

Then, we started to descend. It was all the way down with big steps. We passed by Carson Fall. I took less than 10 pictures on the descending as:
1. I was on sandal (what a reason. I was not used to wearing sandal.)
2. Timpohon trail is kinda boring (no nice view). But, we said 'hi' to those who were going up and gave them some encouragement.

We reached Timpohon Gate at about 3.30pm. John struggled as his soles came out and he has a very bad right knee pain/ injury. Then, we proceed back to KK town.

Our bags weight 5kg extra on the way down as most of our clothes were wet. pengsan...

After a nice & hot shower, Sherine's friend (Vincent) took us for a really nice seafood for dinner. Gaya Spot was the place and the food were really nice. By this time, I was too tired to take any pictures.

Then, the team was saying to come back again for the climb. ( Will I come again? I don't know.) Initially, Sherine was so anxious of Mesilau trail until she experienced the Timpohon trail. Now, she appreciated Mesilau trail much better. :)

Later that night, Dennis and Irene came. We went out to waterfront. Has a drink at Atmosphere which was located at 18th floor of a building. The place was really cozy. Sweet as....

4 comments:

euniceta said...

Looks like you guys really had a good time despite the weather.
At times like these we can thank God for watching over us, wherever we may be. To God be the Glory.

mfwrachel said...

Yeah!!! For me, I had a great time!!
Yes! Thank God in all circumstances!! :)

rfguy said...

Nice photos ;-)

mfwrachel said...

Thank you. Nice pictures bcos of the ppl and the company and the most important is the team spirit. :) Everyone counts.