Saturday, July 26, 2008

Hong Kong - Day 2

We went out as early as 7am to Lian Hiong, locatated at Wellington Street, Central, for a very authentic yum cha session. I took a free newspaper from the MTR for the yum cha session. It's a MUST thing. :) Eat and read and talked.

There were already
a lot of ppl by the time we reached there. We had to ‘dap-tuoa’ (shared table) with others. Oh… the service here was typical Hong Kong style. They just throw the cutlery to you. (No wonder all the cups broke).

The weird thing happened after we sat down and half way eating. There was this lady sharing a table with us started knitting. She didn’t eat anything except a ‘dai-pau’ (big pau). Then, someone else pulled a chair and sat between us. (We were thinking if she would start eating our food). Then, someone left our table and she took over the seat. Oh.. She started to take out her own cutlery. And she put tissues on the table for her cutlery. Next, she had her own rose bud mixed into the tea. Wow…. 2 youngsters joined her later. Worse… They literally wiped the chair before sat down. We were so amused by all these. We recon all these were old customers. The food was not so good. However, it was not the food, it’s the experience. The place was really crowded. There will be always ppl standing by your side waiting for seats. For me, I felt uncomfortable initially, however, get used to that after awhile.

We
moved on. We walked pass Lam Kwai Fong – a happening pub place at night.

Tung
Chung Outlet mall was the next destination. I started comparing prices with the outlet malls in USA and ended not getting anything at all. For me, things were still expensive in HK. Eg. A polo t-shirt is still selling about HK$200 while I can get US$10. That’s my argument. Further, I was not in a hurry to get those clothes. I was thinking to wait till my next US trip. :)

I
had McDonald for my lunch. The grilled chicken burger was yummy, small though. I didn’t feel my stomach at all. Hmm…

I
met up with Paul & Hazel in late afternoon for a drink. It was so nice to catch-up with friends from Malaysia. Later they walked me to Pier 6 to wait for my friend to go to Victoria Peak. We took some pictures while waiting for him. It was IFC (International Finance Center), the tallest building in HK.

Chris came at about 6.40pm and we headed on to Victoria Peak. There were already so many people lining up for the tram to the peak. Well, I couldn’t remember how long I had waited; for sure I knew it was long. However, the wait was worth. It was magnificent Hong Kong night view that I had. There were so many ppl waited for the laser light up as well starting at 8pm. The weather was hot and humid. Gosh… I had to be quick to get a good spot for picture taking. Am I turning into one of the Hong Kong-er? I do not know. However, I think the weather; the pace had really tested my patience.

Later the evening, Chris took me to experience the ‘cha-chan-teng’- a typical local restaurant. I learnt that most of the cha-chan-teng open for almost 24 hours. And I even had the chance to saw the taxi drivers running out to talk to the police when the police were patrolling for summons. Life in Hong Kong – was what I have been wanting to experience.

The
weather was so hot that I felt dizzy when I walked. I kept drinking and dehydrated. :(




No comments: