Saturday, October 3, 2009

Gunung Angsi via Bukit Putus

A friend mailed me about the climb this Sat 2 days ago, I kinda ignored it cos I have had an appointment made in the morning. Then, received sms. Also, cannot lar..

On Friday, I was thinking should I go or should I not. And I called to postpone the appointment to next Sat. Even when I got home, well, parents kinda encouraged me to go since I was pretty stress-up recently.

I wasn't sure if I will go though I started packing. I was quite anxious as it has been a long time (years?) since my last climb a mountain. Well, I did go for hills and Rat Race, but, it's different. There was this fear growing in me as I knew the others are very fit.

So, I woke up on Saturday, it was cloudy and I think I should go. So, I went to meet up the rest at church. There were only 7 of us. KG, Peter Lim, Jason Wong, Pat, David, Nataniel (Peter's youngest son) and me.

We arrived at Bukit Putus (decided to take this alternate route as was told it's easier and shorted) at about 8.15am. We could see the new Lekas (yet to open) highway just below us. We started after a word of prayer.

The terrain at the start was narrow and steep. I already find it difficult and thinking how to survive for the rest. And they called this ez! It's definitely not for me. Thank God Peter Lim and Nataniel were behind me (by purpose?). Peter has always been a sweeper in my climb with him around.

Arrived at this Kopitiam (Cafe) place after 30 minutes of the steep climb. We rested and was told it's easy after that. True enough it was fairly easy. It's walking and some ups and downs.

Somehow we need to go over or under a lot of falled tree trunks. It's very much like obstacle course. At some junctions, I didn't know where to go. And Peter told me, just follow the red plant. It was planted by the owner of the Kopitiam, they come here every Saturday. That really impressed and touches me. Every Saturday!! And they plant it so people are able to follow the route. Good samaritans.

At one part, it was so dark, and misty. Well, it was cooling too. We summited at about 10.00am, took us about 1.50 hours. Wow...

After rested and chatted with some other guys there. They were talking about helicopter evacuation at Everest base camp which required USD5K upfront as the insurance coverage is more of refund later. The team got excited of the topic. It started to drizzle and we descended after about 15 - 20 minutes rest.

Natheniel was so cute showing me his protection bag. :)



Descending was fast. I took opportunity to snap more photos. One can actually see the Lekas (still building) highway.

The rain got heavier when we were about to reach the base (~ 12 noon). Well, since we were about there, no one borthered to wear the rain coat, so, we were wet.

I knew I had a scratched on my way up. It was painful especially the sweat got into it. Only later I realised that it was like a Nike mark. hahaha... Just do it, uh.

As soon as I got my belongings for changed, an accident happened within split second right in front of me. The car got hit because another car which tried to overtake and squeezed in as there were on-coming car. And the car behind can't move at all... wow...

For me, I think it's not that easy climb, overall, it's not that difficult as well. Do I want to climb more mountains? I am not sure. I know they are trying to convince me to go Nepal climb next March for 18 days trip. hmm....




No comments: