Wednesday, October 29, 2008

Life in New Zealand - Part II

Then, it came the 2nd year in NZ and my final year in varsity. A year filled with mixed feelings...

That winter, I visited some friends studying in Otago. I flied in to Dunedin and went to Christchurch by van to visit another friend. Jane (whom I have lost contact now) took me the steepest street in Southern hemisphere. It's 45 degree and it's so amazing that ppl still can park their cars there...

Then, I visited Christchurch. The journey from Dunedin to Christchurch was 5 hours or more. It's tiring... :( But, I managed to see a lot.. hehe...

Here, I met with my sister's lecturer (like that also can). He was lecturing in RMIT, Australia and then moved to University of Canterbury. He was teaching Finance (my major)... Well, it's very nice of him to take me out for dinner and he introduced me to Peking Duck.. yummy...

This winter, we had the Christian camp also. This time, it's OCF + CU = NECF. It only happens every 4 years. Wow.. sounds like Olympic. And so, I went. It's fun. I am the only Asian in our bunk and the culture was a bit shocking. Winter without hot water was horrible. Still, I took my shower.

This winter I also went for a ski trip. Woohoo!!! I learnt that previously OCF did organised a yearly skiing trip. But, they didn't in my 1st year there. So, I started to sweet talk, persuaded the advisors to have one.. And finally, God answered my prayer. So, we went for the ski... woohoo!!! sweet-as... :D

It's kinda exciting. I think we had 2 - 3 vans there. Half way up the hill, we saw a lot of cars stopping aside and we learnt that we it's slippery going up and we need to chained up the wheels..

So, while waiting and traffic was heavy. I asked for permission to leave the van and stand by the road side and took some photos. Soon, more joined.. hehe...

After settling down, we went to the mountain. Started the skiing session after sorted out the renting or gears. It's not easy at all. And in fact, have to learn to fall (what??) and how to get up (the important part). There were snow making machine as the snow fall was not sufficient.

It was tiring to learn to ski. And for me, I was forever at the beginner session.. Scared lar.. What if I went down to the valley?? Don't play2...

Somehow, someone hit me with the snowball (actually iceball as it's fake snow and it's hard. It will be difficult to make snowball if it's real snow). Gosh.. It went straight into my face and I fall (imagine those you read in comic or saw in the cartoon). It's so painful and my left face was red... Then, before I manged to got up. Another into my direction. I was alone and more attacked... Wait a minute!!! What's happening?? They really enjoying attacking me. I tried to defence, but, not able to. I was literally crawling and screaming for help. And they decided to stop after seeing me defeated... Aiks...

We woke up the 2nd day and it was snowing. So, Janice and I went outside and took pictures ignoring the cold. And the snow flakes was exactly like the shape one see on Christmas tree. Wow!!! Amazing. Snow!!!

We went up to the mountain again and saw that where we sat the day earlier was covered with snow. It's much colder also after the snow. We didn't ski much that day as we need to get back soon.

Oh.. With Japanese in our trip. Ok... They were the expert. Takashi is very good in skiing while Takeo is good in snow boarding. Guess what? Takashi and I were having the same birthday, same date, same month, same year. Wow!!! Amazing!!!!!!! COOL!!!! How many ppl actually met someone sharing the same birthday (aside twins lar, ok...)....

So, my 2 days 1 night ski trip ended. I was so tired once I reached home. Slept and my muscles were starting to relax and I can feel my body kinda 'jumped' on the bed... Well, too bad, I am not good in describing it.. But, the experience was different.

This winter, Wai Mun finished his degree and went back to Malaysia. The 5 of us from twinning programe (Janice, Susanna, Pang & Wai Mun) grew closer. We were like family. Whenever I was down, they will make me laugh, and we shared and care for each others. Then, of course, Dennis as well.

This winter, Russell and Lerk Shih left for Malaysia also. They have decided to come back to Malaysia for good. Until don't know when. I remembered Lerk Shih scolded/ lectured me for driving myself to the emergency clinic in the middle of the winter night. I was home alone then as great grandma was really back in Malaysia and the whole family was not around. I took some medications, still felt really sick that I thought I was dying. Then, it was my 1st winter in NZ. I didn't know if I was cold or what. I had heater and was still feeling very sick. So, I drove myself for doctor. Then, I realised that there were ppl out there who cared so much and willingly to give so much.

I also remembered it was Russell and Lerk Shih who took me for a 2 days 1 night up to Auckland in the summer. I was pretty down at work and they called me in the afternoon that they wanted to go to Auckland to visit a camp and if I wanted to tag along. Well, i wanted. After seeking approval from su-gong, they picked me up in the evening and we went. It's 8 hours drive from Wellington to Auckland.

So, we stayed somewhere for the night and continue the next day. Passed by the Dessert Road, and many towns, Lake Taupo, etc... It was a good breakaway. A good runaway and get to some where. Eversince, I didn't manage to do anything like that.

For me: friends are to be there good and bad times. Especially bad times.

Then, it's exam and studies.... Till towards the end of Semester 2. Mid-Autum festivals. We invited friends over. Shared and have fellowship. Aloysious and I were the spokeperson for the night. pengsan....

Then, someone started to stick all their name tags on me.. So, I have all different names towards the end, front and back.

After that, it's big time to prepare for my final exam. Just before that, we make a birthday surprise for Rosalind. I baked her a cake. A Blackforrest cake. :) It's not bad, actually.. Just the shape was a bit weird as we didn't have the proper baking tray. haha.. pengsan....

After exam would be mid Spring and Summer. What did I do for my 2nd summer? arh.... Wanna know more??


No comments: