Tuesday, May 1, 2012

Holiday in Bangkok

Mom has been telling me for quite awhile that she has not been to Bangkok. So, I have been thinking to bring her there for a short trip. Not that I am familiar with Bangkok. I have been to Thailand for 3 times, work and mission related, but, in Bangkok itself, have been there for a day or 2 each trip. Now that I have a friend who is working in BKK and has a place to stay, with Air Asia (though not the best deal), I have decided to take mom on a holiday, and also as a birthday present for her.

Well, as I was expecting my friend to be the tour guide, ended up that I have to do it as my friend as some domestic issue that needs to return to Malaysia. So, I was busy looking up at google, tripadvisor, contacting local friends to meet up, etc.

My dear friend has been very thoughtful to arrange a driver to pick us up from the airport upon our arrival. So, we checked-in to the apartment, rested and headed to Central Plaza for a simple dinner. Did our ladies shopping in Isetan too. :)



Next day, we met up with Sukree (a local Thai friend). He took us to Grand Palace. Foreginers will have to pay for the entrance while it's free for Thai. And we were not aware on the outfits restrictions. Otherwise, we could have prepared better. So, no worries. :) We still can rent a piece of cloth for BHT200 which will return to us upon returning the cloth.


It's quite challenging to walk with 'skirt' and under the hot sun. It was about 40C or higher that day. And the palace is huge. The art work itself is so amazing. All the details part are well taken care of.



Too bad that not all buildings are open for a look.

Then, we went for lunch. Khun Sukree took us to this place, Roti Mataba, located at Thanon Phrat Athit. Wow!!! I actually saw a review on this place and wanted to try out as it's quite highly rated. It's a Halal place. The restaurant itself is quite narrowed and good that they have upstairs with air-cond. :) I didn't tell him that I wanted to try this, it just happened and it was good. We ordered roti canai, it's a mini version compared to what we have at home. :) Green curry chicken, mutabak, nasi briyani chicken. All were so yummy. I would like to come back to this place, only that it's a bit far.



As we still have the time, Sukree said we should go to visit another palace (Vimanmek Mansion) which build by teak wood since the ticket we purchased have included that. Here, we couldn't rent the cloth. We were told to buy. hmm.... But, it's very strict as we enter into the wooden palace. No camera and handphone are allowed. They really check. And all bags are to store in the locker. I must admit that the building itself is so magnificent.



After a long tiring day, Sukree sent us back to the apartment. Mom took a nap. Then, we head to MBK via BTS (sky train) for dinner. As I have not been there too, and read that there is a foodcourt to get some nice food. The Fifth Avenue is located at the 5th floor of MBK. MBK quite similar to our Sungai Wang here in KL, I reckon. The food in Fifth Avenue. There are many choices, one will get the card upon entrance, present the card to the counter when you ordered the food. Then, you will pay or settle the bill before exit, like postpaid system. I called it credit card. We ordered so much food. Vienamise, tom yum soup, coconut drink, mango rice without the rice. Everything is kinda possible, you just have to ask. :)



Day 2. Since Chatucak (JJ) market is a signature visit in BKK. We went there in the morning. It's so huge that we kept walking. And the weather was so hot. A normal size of coconut drink could just finished by me within second. I reckon, it's higher than 42C that day. We didn't buy a lot of things. Went back. And I was attacked by a severe migraine that I almost throw-out, never like that before in my life.

Instead of exploring the night ourselves and tired of walking. I called Khun Amphon to fetch us to Terminal 21. This is a new shopping mall at Sukhumvit. All the floors are designed with different cities. It's really amazing. So, our aim is to look for food. Level 4 (if not mistaken) is where they sell all the local food. The price here is quite reasonable. People here cannot really speak English as those in MBK as this place is more of catering to the workers at nearby offices, so, the price is better too. Over here, the system works like debit card (prepaid) instead of credit card. One will buy the card and told them the amount. Then, the amount will be deducted. You could return the card at the end, and get the balance or you could choose to keep the card.


Most of the time, I just point at the picture or the menu to place my order. It's quite fun. And yes, I ate a lot too. hahaha.... The bread with local kaya was very nice. Very soft bread. :)


Day 3. We went to Ayutthaya to meet up with Warunee (my another local friend). It's about 1 hour drive from Bangkok as it's still school holiday. We experienced the ride on elephant. It's quite exciting sitting on top of the elephant. :) And we get to view the old mansion. It's beautiful to have different view.


Then, we went to floating market. Not the real orginal but more of for tourist. Even not the foreigner tourist, but, to local tourist. We had our local seafood lunch here at a very cheap price. And it's very nice. The fish, the tom yum soup, the mango salad. Yummmm..... And there's a show of war between Thai and Myanmar too (free).

We headed back to BKK, did a few last minute shopping before met up with Sukree for dinner. We had dinner at Deen Restaurant at Silom 15. It's another Halal place. The food, very delicious! :) There's where Sukree reminded me of our long unfulfilled trip to come back and we will travel out of BKK the next time. :)


It has been a very rewarding trip especially time spent with friends and catching up though the weather has been the hottest in the year. Not a lot of shopping done, yet fruitful in another way.

Thank you so much for hosting and the thoughtfulness that my friend has put up while staying in the apartment. Really appreciate that.

No comments: