Friday, June 1, 2012

Gunung Datuk, Rembau, Negeri Sembilan


Got to know that Khoo Swee Chiow (the experienced climber from Singapore) is planning to bring his children for their first climb somewhere near Seremban in June. So, I gave my traveling date to him and hopefully, he would come while I am around and I could join him for the climb. It is more of getting to know him more as I missed the first meet up with him.

It was quite last minute that we were informed that he would be climbing Gunung Datuk on 1 June. I joined him since that day was a replacement public holiday for Agung's (King) birthday which is on 2 June.

I was told to meet at the foothill at 9am. Then, delayed to 9.30am. He and the family arrived at around 10.30am. And we started the climb after registration. Registration fee has gone up from RM3 to RM5 already. I couldn't really remember when was the last time I have climbed this mountain. Perhaps 1-2 years back.

After crossing the river, the trail started with lose rocky part. Not just rocky, it was quite steep too. The rocky session lasted for about 1 hour. We went slow as it is the first time for the kids (4 and 6 years old).


It was quite an easy path after the hut session.



We reached the summit after 2.5 hours climb. I was so amazed by the attitude of kids, they were just willing to try and push on, persevere.. Of course, the parents were very encouraging too.

Gunung Datuk summit session has the new staircase. Very much like the fire engine elevated stairs. The first ladder part was literally vertical. Quite scary (for me).

It was indeed a very good weather on that day. We spent almost 45 minutes up at the summit/ peak (that's where I got so tanned).



We took 2 hours to descend, was slow especially on the rocks session.

Overall, good climb. :)


No comments: